Thursday, July 14, 2011

Pain

I thought it might be interesting to try and observe some bicyclists in Sausalito as they climbed a hill.  For me, climbing on a bike is akin to magic:  I see it, but surely there must be slight of hand.  The 30 seconds when I do it are extremely excrutiating, and that's only once a year. How can they maintain a climb for minutes and hours? There was a period of about 3 years when I climbed Mt. Tamalpais once a year, but  I would literally stop every 90 seconds, and get passed by a man in his 70's, once the incline got over 5%.  Sadly, this from a former college soccer player.  Needless to say, the riders were struggling, and not one of them looked happy.



Look at the guy in the car, even he is amused with the idea that somebody would want to climb rather than drive.  Which brings me to my next point:

Every cyclist who hasn't been hit is going to be hit by a car eventually from what I can tell (or a bus).


This is a two lane, heavily trafficked tourist road.  But damn, it sure is beautiful, isn't it?  It looks like it could be in Europe to me.


I toast you, my cyclist friends, now get out of my way, I need to move my car so I can go get a burger and a beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment